Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Backyard fun

We've been getting our hands dirty in the yard now that the sun has started to show its face in the Pacific Northwest. I've been wanting a garden for quite some time and after about two summers of dragging my feet, I finally have one!

The husband and I went to Home Depot and Lowe's and got all of our lumber/soil/tools/etc needed for the raised garden bed. It was really quite easy!

 photo CA0FE12F-4BDE-48DF-A234-58F7BC576087-30349-00001D1944A546E0_zpsa24ac2c7.jpg



The supplies:
• Six 2x4x12 untreated cedar boards
• One 4x4 untreated cedar board
• Deck nails
• Power drill/screwdriver
• Endless dirt (so it seemed)
• Veggies!

We had Home Depot cut the boards for us down to six 8-foot pieces and six 4-foot pieces to create the 8x4 raised bed. Husband drilled some holes in the boards and then attached them with the deck screws into the 4x4 post that we had cut down for supports.


And voila! After three trips to Lowe's, it was really that easy. We filled the bed with dirt from around the yard up to the first board (4 inches) and then we used a mix of organic eco-scraps and topsoil to fill the rest.

I bought a selection of veggies that I like from a nearby greenhouse for $1.50 a pack and planted them. My garden will soon produce yellow peppers, jalapeƱos, zucchini, squash, eggplant, lettuce, tomatoes, chives, basil, oregano, rosemary, and parsley!

I need to get something in there to scare away the birds and I want to plant a pumpkin so the little man will have one for the fall. Let's hope I can keep the veggies alive!

 photo 2F956BA3-4837-4C77-B65E-7ED4A1E9ED5B-30349-00001D194AE74FCA_zpse2389768.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment